11 questions that will help you become a productive person
Want to become a more productive person? There are some 11 productivity questions you can ask yourself to help with that.
Tiffany studied Language and Economics, and now likes to write about business topics and conduct interviews with interesting people. She spends her free time looking after her plants and with her dog.
We asked Matt East, a productivity and high-performance coach to share the biggest mistake he sees people make with their productivity. And here's what he said.
Beginning each day with a lack of clarity, purpose, and intention is definitely the most common mistake I see. Being productive is often about getting back to the basics, and this is a perfect example of that.
In research, we see over and over that high-performers identify how they want to spend their time and energy each day. They are proactive, not reactive.
If this is something you struggle with, don't worry. This can be easily solved by identifying your top priorities each morning.
As you likely know, priorities are simply areas of your life that are important and meaningful to you.
Priorities include projects you're focusing on at work or home, activities you want to do, or relationships you want to nurture.
Productivity isn't about doing more
I believe being productive isn’t about doing more - just for the sake of doing more. I think it’s the opposite.
Productivity is about having clarity about what you want to do, so you can focus on what’s important to you.
Having clarity about your priorities is one way to ensure you're thoughtful and effective with your time.
But more importantly, it allows you to begin each day full of possibility.
Prioritizing is all about being intentional with your energy. I suggest trying to establish your top 3 priorities each morning before you start your day. This simple exercise can be life-changing.
Identify your top three priorities
Here are 11 perfect questions anyone can use to help identify their top-3 priorities each morning. This list is intended to get your ideas flowing.
- If I could only achieve one thing today, what would it be?
- What's the second most important thing I need to accomplish?
- What's the third most important?
- What else needs to be done?
- What could I complete today that would make me happy when reflecting on my day?
- What can I do that will move me closer to achieving my goals?
- Are there projects or tasks that others own but I should follow up on?
- What key relationships in my life need my energy today?
- What could I accomplish today that would reduce my stress level?
- What tasks can I delegate to someone else today?
- Is there a task I'm avoiding that I should complete today?
I hope these questions help you identify your priorities each morning. Being intentional about your priorities each day will help you spend your time more productively.
Good luck, I believe in you! Let me know if you have any questions. You can easily find my email address on my website at www.matt-east.com.
Productivity priorities FAQs
How do I become a productive person?
To become a productive person, you need to realize that productivity isn’t about accomplishing more just for the sake of accomplishing more, but about having a clear idea of what you want to do and how you want to spend your time.
One of the best ways to become a productive person is to get your priorities straight by figuring out what’s most important to you, mapping out your daily tasks and activities, and eliminating distractions.
How do you become the most productive person you know?
To become highly productive and get big things done, you should:
- Develop a daily routine to help yourself stay disciplined;
- Get rid of your TV;
- Part ways with the energy vampires in your life;
- Get enough sleep each night and get up early every morning;
- Declutter your office to stay focused during your working hours;
- Get your most important work done in the hours when your energy is at its highest; and
- Don’t accept every single request that comes your way.
How do I start being productive in my life?
Start by making a simple to-do list and try your best to stick to it. Then, treat yourself every time you complete a task on your list. This doesn’t have to be anything big.
You can take a five-minute break, go for a short walk in the nearby park, or make yourself a healthy snack or drink.
Finally, avoid addictive time-wasting activities like scrolling through social media and playing smartphone games.
How can I be more productive and happy?
To become more productive and happier, you should:
- Get at least seven hours of sleep per night;
- Exercise every day;
- Spend more time in nature;
- Spend more quality time with your loved ones;
- Lend a helping hand whenever you can;
- Celebrate both small and big wins; and
- Identify and eliminate your time thieves.
About the Author
Matt East is one of the world's leading experts on productivity and high performance.
His books, podcasts, and coaching teach you how to plan your day so you can spend more time on the projects, activities, and relationships that are most important and meaningful to you.
He's best known for his one-on-one coaching, where he's been lucky enough to work with many brilliant creatives, entrepreneurs, and business professionals.
Do you want to become a productive person? Install Mailbutler for Apple Mail, Gmail and Outlook and sign up for a 14-day free trial with unlimited access to all Business features and no payment information required!
Would you like to learn more about productivity? Read this interesting article “Tips to Foster Productivity across Your Organization”
Unlock efficient customer management with Mailbutler's tagging. Prioritize, organize, and communicate effectively. Learn more here.
6 min read
In this guide, we’ll explore the benefits of using email tags in your inbox, and how to make tagging part of your daily email communication.
8 min read
Looking for a way to manage projects effectively? Check the 15 best Chrome extensions for small-business owners and what makes them special.
10 min read